Uber, Ola Cabs Directed to Submit Details of Drivers, Vehicles to Ply in Delhi

indian_taxi_driver_with_uber_app_reuters.jpg
Giving a last chance to app-based taxi operators Uber and Ola Cabs, Delhi Government on Thursday directed them to submit full details of their drivers and vehicles within seven days if they want to “regularise” their services in the national capital.According to a senior government official, applications of Uber and Ola Cabs to get licences are currently pending before the transport department.

Transport Minister Gopal Rai on Thursday held a meeting with representatives of app-based taxi operators and other taxi associations at the Delhi Secretariat.

“Government has asked Uber and Ola Cabs to give it all details pertaining to their vehicles and drivers within seven days if they want their applications for licences to operate their services to be considered by the concerned authority,” said a government spokesperson.

All app-based cab service were banned in the national capital after a driver of Uber, the US-based online taxi-hailing company, was accused of raping a female passenger in December last year.

In January this year, the company had applied for a radio taxi licence to operate through its subsidiary Resource Expert India Pvt Ltd.

The city government has also directed these app-based taxi operators to file an undertaking stating that they would follow all laid down rules in future.

“We have also asked Uber and Ola Cabs to file an undertaking stating that they will follow all rules laid down rules by the transport department,” the official said.

The Delhi government in March had approached Department of Electronic & Information Technology (Deity) to block web-based apps of taxi operators Uber, Ola Cabs and TaxiForSure alleging that these companies are not complying with a ban order imposed by it.

Thereafter, the Department of Telecom had earlier this month issued a letter to Internet Service Providers to block websites of taxi operators Uber, TaxiForSure and Ola Cabs, following a request from the Delhi government.

Google Announces A/B Testing for Play Store Listings; Improved Developer Pages

google_play_store_ab_testing_androiddevblog.jpg
Amongst the many announcements made at its 2015 I/O Conference, Google has taken the wraps off a handful of improvements designed to help developers attract more traffic to their app listings and convert more visits into downloads. The two biggest features are A/B testing for listings and an improved developer page experience.Google will now allow ‘Experiments’ from the developer console, which let developers choose up to three alternative sets of graphics and text descriptions for their app listings. These alternative listings will be shown to some visitors, and statistics about engagement and installs will be shown to developers so that they can determine which version of the listing was most appealing and effective, thereby optimising potential. According to Google, some developers achieved double-digit install rate improvements in a pilot program conducted prior to the announcement.

Developer pages are also to be overhauled with a large banner graphic, company logo, descriptive text and improved catalogue display. Companies will also be able to feature one app or update prominently on their page to drive traffic. Those with lots of apps in the Play Store will benefit the most, and will be able to use their developer page as a homepage to promote all offerings in one place.

Google stated that it intends to make developer homepages more prominent and easier to find. One way to do this will be the creation of sections based on broad interests such as shopping, with subsections such as coupon apps and fashion apps. These will appear in search results to increase the chances of users discovering new and unfamiliar apps that suit their requirements.

There will also be a new easy way for people to discover family-friendly apps and content. A new star icon will lead users to a section highlighting apps approved for the Designed for Families program, sorted by suitable age ranges.

To further boost user acquisition, developers will be able to create and roll out ad campaigns right from the developer console. Only a budget needs to be set, after which Google will scale the campaign out across all its properties including Google Search, AdMob, YouTube and new Google Play search ads.

Developers will also be able to submit apps for testing across a wide variety of actual Android devices that they otherwise would not have access to. Given the fragmentation in terms of screen size, resolution, CPU power and OS version, developers would be able to identify and fix real-world issues that would otherwise not be identified till someone encountered them and complained.

Facebook’s Oculus VR Founder Palmer Luckey Hit With Lawsuit

palmer_luckey_facebook.jpg
The founder of virtual reality glasses maker Oculus VR Inc, acquired by Facebook Inc for $2 billion, has been accused of taking confidential information he learned while working with another company and passing it off as his own, according to a lawsuit filed this week.

The plaintiff, Hawaii-based company Total Recall Technologies, said it hired Oculus founder Palmer Luckey in 2011 to build a prototype head mounted display. Luckey signed a confidentiality agreement, according to the lawsuit filed on Wednesday.

Throughout the latter half of 2011 and into 2012, Luckey received feedback and information to improve the design of the display. However, Luckey used information he learned from his partnership when he launched a Kickstarter campaign for his own head mounted display called the Oculus Rift, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages but does not specify and amount.

Facebook’s $2 billion acquisition of Oculus last year was its first-ever hardware deal, as the company sought a way into the fast-growing wearable devices arena.

Oculus is listed as a defendant along with Luckey, and a Facebook representative on Friday declined to comment. The lawsuit was reported earlier by The Recorder, a California legal newspaper.

For its lawsuit Total Recall Technologies enlisted global law firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, which also counts Google and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd as major clients. Luckey is accused of breach of contract and fraud, among other claims.

CCI Orders Probe Against Sweden’s Ericsson

ericsson_new_officie_reuters.jpg
Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India on Friday ordered a detailed probe against Swedish telecom giant Ericsson, after it ‘prima facie’ found the company in violation of the competition norms.

The order follows complaints that the practices adopted by Ericsson with regard to royalty rates were discriminatory as well as contrary to FRAND (fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory) terms, CCI said.

“The royalty rate being charged by Ericsson has no linkage to the functionality of the patented product rather it has linkage to the final price of the manufactured product in which the patent is being used.

“Ericsson seems to be acting contrary to the FRAND terms by imposing royalties linked with the cost of manufacturing product. Charging of two different licence fees per phone for use of the same technology, prima facie, appears to be discriminatory,” it said.

CCI said that forcing a party to execute non disclosure agreement and imposing excessive and unfair royalty rates, prima facie, amount to abuse of dominance in violation of the relevant section of the Competition Act.

“… the Commission finds that a prima facie case of contravention of the provisions of section 4 of the Act is made out against the Opposite Parties and it is a fit case to be investigated by the Director General.

“Accordingly, the Commission directs the DG to cause an investigation into the matter and to complete the investigation within a period of 60 days from receipt of this order,” CCI said in its order.